Grounding..Re: [Beowulf] Re: UPS & power supply instability

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 30 09:36:20 PDT 2005

Folks.. all this discussion about grounding should reference the "tome" on
these things..

IEEE Std 1100-1999 ( I assume that's the latest rev..)
IEEE Recommended Practice for Powering and Grounding Electronic Equipment

aka "the Emerald book"

This extremely handy 400+ page book talks all about grounding strategies
(including how it is impossible to build something with "one true ground"..
unless you give up shielded cables), harmonic content, induction, etc.etc.etc.

Anyone who has responsibility for putting together anything bigger than a
couple boxes sitting on a shelf, even a single rack, should own a copy, if
only to be able to point out relevant sections to vendors, bidders,
facilities folk, etc.

There's quite a nice discussion about "Conflicting design philosophies for
performance and safety", which is good reading because, inevitably, what
YOU want to do for grounding will conflict with someone else's
understanding and interpretation of the NEC.  Tactful and clever
interpretation of such regulatory requirements is essential.

As you've discovered, wiring up a hundred anythings in a room is
substantially different than the run of the mill residential, industrial,
or commercial electrical wiring practices.

Another book, slightly less useful, but good for context, is IEEE 142-1991
IEEE Recommended Practice for Grounding of Industrial and Commercial Power
Systems (the "Green" book).  This one is more aimed at factories and such,
but is useful, because it describes all the schemes your electrician is
likely familiar with.  (this one covers all those
neutral/ground/delta-midtap connection issues, for instance, and why you
might want a high impedance grounding system, etc.)