[Beowulf] iptaled

Glen Gardner Glen.Gardner at verizon.net
Thu Sep 29 19:53:11 PDT 2005

Exposing compute nodes and even I/O servers to the outside is common in
grids. The idea is that many remote small systems can be linked via an
external network to form a supercomputer.  The big problem is the
latency in cross country links. Security can be handled well enough.

Setups like this are common , really. The ROCKS cluster distribution can
install a grid ready cluster.  It even configures the compute nodes to
use SSH and all the remote user needs is a similar ROCKS cluster in
order to add remote nodes. Security is accomplished with SSH security
certificates and very fine grained permissions on the compute nodes
internally. My only gripe with this setup is that it is very much a
canned distribution and does not offer much departure from the default
configuration. The use of globus makes it VERY complex, and a simpler
means of gridding would make a lot more sense.

Glen