[Beowulf] Sun Fire X2100 Server

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Wed Sep 28 22:47:42 PDT 2005

Vinvent Diepeveen wrote:

>Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Sun Fire X2100 Server
>To: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>, Beowulf at beowulf.org
>
>Correct me if i'm wrong, i was under the
>impression that socket 940 is called OPTERON
>and socket 939 is called A64.
>
>Why sell A64's as 'opterons' 939 if they have just 1 HT link and don't require
>registered memory?
>
>Why claim it's an opteron when it's an A64 client machine in fact?
>
>It's a paper claim.
>
>Vincent

Until very recently you would be correct.
There were socket 940 Opteron 1xx CPUs and socket 939 A64's

Now they are releasing single Opteron 1xx's in 939 pin config.
Main difference is that they do not require REGISTERED memory.
They DO support ECC.

Other than that, what other significant differences between A64
andOpteron are there that matter here?
They do not need additional HT links as they are not SMP 2xx or 8xx CPUs.

--
Regards,
    Maurice