Application certification (was Re: [Beowulf] hpl size problems)

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Wed Sep 28 21:30:43 PDT 2005

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:18 am, Joe Landman wrote:

> Worse, when closed source vendors ship product, they qualify against
> specific OSes, and will not officially support others.  Usually we get a
> "tell us if it works" perspective.

This is our experience too. Also in the extreme case we've been told that
because we don't run the ISV's web server on the same node as the PBS server
then we're in an unsupported configuration.

Even when I've shown them the bugs in (and supplied patches for) their Perl
code.

> Somehow this seems wrong to me.  I would like there to be a standards
> body (say LSB?) that says "linux LSB vX.Y is defined thusly", and then
> have vendors qualify against that, regardless of the distro.

Agreed, this is what LSB was supposed to do, I believe.  However, nobody uses
it, sadly.

There's a very good article at LWN about the LSB entitled "The relevance of
the Linux Standard Base" at:

http://lwn.net/Articles/152580/

which is subscriber only content at the moment (if you can afford to subscribe
I can wholeheartedly recommend it, their kernel development coverage
justifies it for me on its own) but will appear as free content in the near
future.

They also provide a link to Ulrich Drepper's (the glibc maintainer) blog post
that goes into what he sees as fundamental problems with LSB at the moment,
that's at:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/udrepper/8511.html

There is apparently one one application that has been LSB certified. :-(

Chris