[Beowulf] Remote console management

Bruce Allen ballen at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Thu Sep 22 21:33:34 PDT 2005

Hi Joe,

>  We (my company) have set something like this up for one of our customers
> with the cluster they bought, where the admins can be (in theory) 1/2 world
> away and completely control the machines.
>
>  It is quite possible to do this, but you have to be ready for the sticker
> shock on the KVM over IP.   Lets address the remote power first.
>
>  There are lots of power strips out there, many folks use APC units of one
> form or the other.  We use NBB-1600 from WTI (http://www.wti.com/nbb16.htm)
> to handle power control.  They work, quite well at that.  The only issue is
> that you will need a few of them for full racks, and you would need to set
> the bios to power on on restoration of power.  If you have an IPMI capable
> machine (Sun v20z), you plug in to the service processor via a managment
> network (make it separate from your main network, but routeable and visible
> from the WAN), and you can power cycle the machine.  You get some nice
> diagnostic bits in there for free as well.

We don't need the power strips.  The inexpensive IPMI cards let us to both
hard and soft power cycle.

>  Now onto to the remote consoles.  I am sure I am going to regret saying
> this, but ... I have seen many people purchase cyclades, and I cannot say I
> have ever seen them being used.  One customer asked me what it was for, as
> their last cluster vendor required it as part of their package, and they (the
> customer) never used it.  In part because it was never attached.

We WOULD attach them!

> IPMI gives you the ability to do a console over IPMI (text only).  I am
> not sure how well this works in general.

The main issue is 'where is the console output buffered'.  Look back at my
original posting.  I want to see the same display that someone plugging in
a monitor would see.  This means that at least the last 24*80 bytes have
to be buffered.  And ideally somewhat more.

> I prefer KVM over IP.  Yes, it is expensive.
> Rariton KX232's are about 6000-8000$US/unit these days, and the CIMs that you
> attach to the machines are about $100/unit.  128 CIMs will run you 12k$.  And
> will require 4 of these Raritan units.  The Raritans also have an IE-only
> (grrr!!!) interface.  Some others are saner and use either a java applet, or
> some sort of portable console.  I have heard a rumor that someone uses vnc,
> but have not looked hard enough to find out if this is true.
>
>  Combining these two technologies will get you that level of control.

My impression is that the a serial port terminal server
http://shopper.cnet.com/Cyclades_TS_3000___terminal_server/4014-3243_9-30091852.html
would be more cost effective, IF it works.

>  That said, some of the higher end vendors management processors integrate
> all/most of these things.  It would be overkill to get one of those units
> with the aforementioned power/kvm technologies.

Actually I am surprised that IPMI 2.0 doesn't already do ALL of what I
want.  The main issue seems to be this one: where is the serial console
output buffered?

> Raritan also integrates power control if you prefer single vendors.

I didn't know about Raritan.  Just had a look on the web.  They look to be
about $150 - $200 per node in quantity one.  So they might be reasonable
in quantity fifteen or so.

How can they do power control (for a locked system) with just Keyboard,
Video and Mouse connectors?

Cheers,
 	Bruce