[Beowulf] Re: OT: PXE boot with no control over DHCP?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Sep 22 10:05:59 PDT 2005

Hi David:

   In terms of figuring things out, run ethereal or tcpdump on the net
to see if you are getting any DHCP packets.  If the don't show up, then
you have a problem.  If you are running the ISC dhcp server, make sure
it is listening on the right interface.

   Usually one of the "smart" switches gets in the way of doing the
right thing.  If the switch is set to discard all multicast traffic, or
plays games with spanning trees or other bits you might have a problem.
  If your server is somehow on a different vlan as the workstation, you
will also have a problem.

   If you can boot knoppix but not get an IP address, set it to an empty
one (you should have a small pool of empty ones just for these cases),
and try pinging your server.  If the pings get through, you should be
able to send udp pings .

Joe