[Beowulf] OT: PXE boot with no control over DHCP?

Erwan Velu erwan at seanodes.com
Wed Sep 21 11:04:07 PDT 2005

David Mathog wrote:

[...]

>Can any of you suggest a way to control a PXE boot without
>having control over DHCP on the local subnet net?

Yes you can ;)
I made it works by configuring my PXE server to only answer to PXE
requests (what usual dhcp doesn't).
The only point to solve is to found some free IPs to provides without
making some collision with the official DHCP server.
You just need a few one... ask your administrator too free you.

Have a look to my documentation, it provides some more explanations.
http://clic.mandriva.com/documentation/pxe/ch04.html#id2756352

Using a pool which allow PXE request and deny others works. I did it in
my previous company with success.

Regards,