[Beowulf] OT: PXE boot with no control over DHCP?

Brian R Smith brian at cypher.acomp.usf.edu
Wed Sep 21 12:01:08 PDT 2005

David,

I've done this before.

1) Set up your own dhcp server and make sure you have all the mac
addresses for your hosts so that your server only offers addresses to
your clients and no one else.

2) Make sure these hosts are on the same router or switch as your dhcp
server so your server manages to offer an address first, before the
campus dhcp that you don't manage.

3) Configure PXE boot as per the norm and make sure you turn off dhcpd
when you're done.

If you need any more details, let me know.  We did this a while back
when we had a condor grid set up and a bunch of linux boxes attached to
it.

-Brian Smith