[Beowulf] ClusterMonkey.net

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Sep 19 11:54:48 PDT 2005

Greg Matthews writes:

> On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 10:38 -0400, Douglas Eadline wrote:
>> As many of you know, ClusterWorld Magazine ceased publication in June of
>> this year.
>>
>> While there will not be another ClusterWorld, some of the columnists
>> (Robert Brown, Jeff Layton, Jeff Squyres, and Dan Stanzione) and myself
>> felt the need to continue in some capacity. While we did not believe
>> another print magazine was economically possible, we decided that a web
>> based community site was worth pursuing.  To this end, we would like to
>> announce Cluster Monkey (http://www.clustermonkey.net)
>
> excellent news... I tried to subscribe to CWN round about the time it
> ceased publication :(

With any luck, in the next week or three pretty much the entire set of
columns we all wrote for CWM will be available online on da Monkey.  As
in we're all converting or have converted them from CWM's really
execrable markup into something that can web-display or be converted
into pdfs without too huge an ugliness and Doug's working hard to get
them put up with his content management tool.

As in all of mine are converted into latex already, and are webifiable
with latex2html.  Doug's going to mamboify them from there.  I'll
probably post the latex2html images directly there and/or on my personal
website.

All those columns represent a LOT OF INFORMATION to the typical cluster
monkey or monkey wannabe.  How to write programs in MPI, how to set up
disk for clusters, how to build starter clusters, how to feed and cool
clusters, all sorts of things about cluster networking, programming,
applications, management, tools... my fellow columnists wrote about it
all.

And that's just for starters.  I'm hoping that we start seeing
contributed articles on specific topics of interest shortly after that.
I don't know that it will exactly evolve into being a wiki per se, but
there should be a very wiki-like feel to a good part of it.

    rgb