[Beowulf] flange clearance on sliding rails

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Wed Oct 19 20:35:33 PDT 2005

David Mathog wrote:

>From: "David Mathog" <mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu>
>Subject: [Beowulf] flange clearance on sliding rails
>To: beowulf at beowulf.org
>We have two racks in the machine room.  They are both generic
>(ie, not from a major manufacturer like Dell, Sun, or IBM.)
>Neither one of them will hold a set of sliding rails properly.
>The other rack, from another group, has the same problem on one
>side.  For that one (square holes with the little clamp in nuts)
>there's absolutely nothing to adjust.  What's most infuriating about
>this case is that there's almost 2 inches of free space on the other
>side, all they had to do was to make the narrower rail a tiny bit
>wider, and the wider one a tiny bit narrower.
>In both cases the mounting flanges are only about 2 mm too wide.
>I've seen this now with rails from two different sources.
>Is this a common problem?
Getting the actual EIA spec (officially) is quite expensive.
Fortunately you CAN find a copy of it here:

I think that  will show you if the suppliers met the specs or not.

Good luck!

BTW, regarding your comment:
"ie, not from a major manufacturer like Dell, Sun, or IBM"

We have seen these companies routinely break this spec.
Dell are especially frequent in that practice.

"Standards? We don't need no steenking standards!"

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.  FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3