[Beowulf] Parallel memory

Michael Will mwill at penguincomputing.com
Wed Oct 19 09:18:57 PDT 2005

Ashley Pittman wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 18:28 -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>

>You are almost right, there *used* to be a kernel module that allowed
>swap over the network, I remember playing with it in the 2.2 days (a
>long time ago).

I used to swap via 10/100 to a remote ramdisk via nbd on debian sarge
(2.4 kernel)
and it  allowed me to work on larger images via Gimp. I have not done
any benchmarking
though. Qualitative statement: It seemed faster than using the old IDE
drive for swapping,
maybe because the image data came from the IDE drive as well and so the
extra 10MB/s
channel via NBD was worth it.

I saw no stability issues.

Michael