[O-MPI users] [Beowulf] MPI ABI

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Mon Oct 10 15:41:07 PDT 2005

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 02:43:15PM -0400, Patrick Geoffray wrote:
>>Furthermore, there is no standard binary interface in Fortran, so you
>>cannot safely use a library compiled with one compiler and an
>>application compiled with another.
> Our InfiniPath MPICH-based libraries have this solved on i386 and
> AMD64: we have a single MPI library that works with PathScale, g77,
> PGI, and Intel's Fortran compilers. So there's your existence
> proof. There were no issues other than the ones I've brought up: name
> mangling, LOGICAL, command line.

Which is exactely the problem I described: you need to do name mangling
and all, and you need to be sure you don't forget anything, and you need
to support it in the long run, ie supporting a future release of PGI or
Intel compilers. Because there is no standard way of doing, you have no
guarantee that it won't change under your feet.

Patrick Geoffray
Myricom, Inc.