[Beowulf] Cluster Applications in Submarine Environment

Huntress Gary B NPRI HuntressGB at Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil
Wed Nov 30 08:12:39 PST 2005

Greetings Everyone,

	I'm an engineer at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center in Newport RI.  We are a research lab primarily for submarine systems and weapons.  One fact of life aboard submarines is a lack of physical space, quarters are cramped not only for people but for new equipment.  A second fact of life is long design and procurement timelines often leave the fleet with older (very old) and less capable computer hardware.

	For several years now I have been pitching the idea of placing a Beowulf cluster aboard a sub by housing it in an unused missile tube which leverages existing power/environmental interfaces.  The cluster would be made available on the submarine's network as a resource for all to use.  I've successfully obtained a small cluster (An Orion Multisystems DT-12) for demonstration/porting purposes, as well as a Tomahawk cruise missile capsule to place it in and begin any necessary modifications (pic available upon request).

	This week I was informed that I've been selected to draft a significant proposal for future work related to actually bringing this idea to life.  Apparently a major portion of the proposal is supposed to address related work (who else is doing this) and also "partnerships".  To that end, if anyone here has any interest in this topic please feel free to contact me directly.  I would particularly like to hear from anyone doing parallel DSP, acoustic signal processing, or cryptography.  I'd also be interested in comments regarding low power per cubic foot packaging since I am operating in a closed environment and heat may be an issue.

	Many of you may recognize this idea from previous postings.  I'd like to thank everyone that has helped me in the past.  Without your input, this idea would not have made it this far!

Regards,

Gary Huntress
Code 4113
Naval Undersea Warfare Center