[Beowulf] portable clusters

DGS dgs at gs.washington.edu
Tue Nov 29 22:36:08 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 09:43:19PM -0800, Jim Lux wrote:
> At 09:26 PM 11/29/2005, Mark Hahn wrote:
> >> The goal here is to have a credible concept to improve the "system"
> >> performance by adding on a computatational element to an existing
> >portable
> >> system that is Windows based without requiring any hardware changes to
> >the
> >> windows system, or without requiring significant software mods to the
> >> windows system (i.e. running some new program is ok, running a windows
> >> emulator is not).
> >
> >this seems fairly quixotic to me, since you also seem to be planning on
> >some sort of small cluster of token (via, etc) processors.  it's rather
> >easy to imagine cases where a decent ruggedized 4x2 linux box would easily
> >outperform a 16x via cluster.
>
> Yep.. but you're still faced with the network boot issue, cluster or
> no.  Actually, it appears that the real challenge isn't the "cluster" per
> se, but the whole "diskless linux boot from Windows laptop" process.

How about a custom live CD with Warewulf?  Boot your laptop from the CD,
boot up your nodes, re-boot into Windows, and off you go.  The nodes need
DHCP, PXE, and "warewulfd" (modified HTTP server) at boot-up, but can
stand-alone after that.  You'd probably have to make a new CD if you
want to modify the cluster.  After you've done that once, it shouldn't be
too hard to do again.

David S.