[Beowulf] SC05 blogs and observations

Srihari Angaluri srihari at VerariSoft.Com
Tue Nov 22 11:27:47 PST 2005

Doug,

I read the article. Just wanted to point out that there were indeed
clusters running the Windows HPC edition in Microsoft's booth. I don't
know how you missed them, but I at least know of the Dell cluster and a
Verari cluster (I work for Verari) in their booth. We had a Landmark
graphics demo running on the Verari cluster with the Windows HPC edition
server and Silverstorm IB stack. Wolfram research had a demo going on a
Dell rack. Anyway, not that this proves any point, but I thought you
might want to amend your article since you made a strong argument about
Microsoft not showcasing a single cluster in their booth :)

Regarding .NET, I don't think the compute cluster solution emphasizes
using .NET for your applications. In fact, .NET is not even a
requirement to do anything significant as far as Windows compute
clusters go. It's just a tool to write both intranet based distributed
applications as well as Web services (among other traditional
Windows-centric applications). There is no specific .NET attachment to
the HPC edition of Windows. They probably do use .NET for some of their
tools like the job scheduler, but it doesn't prevent users from running
traditional Windows applications using these tools, AFAIK.

Thanks,
Srihari

--
Srihari Angaluri