[Beowulf] Question on hgh performance, low cost Fileserver

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Tue Nov 22 12:58:25 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 10:25:25AM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 08:49:09AM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
>
> > Also look at http://www.drbd.org/ which might be the cat's pyjamas for
> > this application.
>
> I have a HA NFS server in the rack (dual mini-ITX with a 300 GB
> drive each) which are kept in sync via DRBD. Bonnie++ said something
> about 2-3 MByte/s, so mini-ITX are quite underpowered for the application.

That seems like awful disk performance.  But, why would that have
anything to do per-se with is being a mini-ITX motherboard?  If its
PCI and IDE chipsets are ok, and Linux recognizes them correctly, then
the disk should work just as well as on a larger motherboard, right?
Did you use the hdparm -i -I -tT options to check that Linux isn't
putting the disk controller into the wrong mode?

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/