[Beowulf] A Cluster of Motherboard. - tray

Glen Gardner Glen.Gardner at verizon.net
Sat Nov 12 04:58:48 PST 2005

Autocad is hardly tricky. Most machine shops will fabricate aluminum to
0.005" tolerance if you do not specify otherwise, so you have to allow
for tolerances... oversize holes, etc.  This is not a problem in
fabrication.  A skilled person with a hand drill can often fabricate
more precisely than 0.005", down to nearly 0.001" with some care.

A CNC machine can typically set to within 0.005 mm after warmup, so
drilling holes precisely enough is not an issue for cnc.  I think that
you will find that motherboards are typically fabricated to anywhere
from 0.005" to 0.010" tolerance, and some of the cheaper board houses
will fab to 0.015" if you don't specify tighter tolerances.   They can
all go down to better than 0.001", but they usually don't like to
because it costs a lot more in setup time and materials wasted due to
rejects. The problem there is the tendency of glass-epoxy laminates to
change their dimensions under pressure/heat over time.

Glen