[Beowulf] 3d rendering cluster

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Mon May 23 10:02:48 PDT 2005

The big irons are better in terms of admin cost I guess... Imagine you
only need to look at 1 box with hundreds of processors instead of 50
or so dual -CPU boxes to manage!

However, the cost of the huge SMP boxes is so expensive that you
consider to use other ways to get around the administrator overhead,
like using the "Rocks cluster" package. Also, use a distributed batch
system like Gridengine to manage the rendering jobs.

What you really need is a compute farm, instead of the traditional
supercomputer type of cluster.

http://www.rocksclusters.org/Rocks/
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/

And the IA64/Itanic processors are slower than the AMD processors when
running real code, and AMD servers are less expensive :)

Rayson