[Beowulf] [jak at uiuc.edu: [Xgrid] Re: megaFlopsper Dollar? real world requirements]

Ben Mayer bmayer at gmail.com
Tue May 17 10:07:52 PDT 2005

Jim Gray talked about this. I can't find the paper atm, but did find
an interview with ACM Queue.

http://www.acmqueue.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=printer_friendly&pid=43&page=1

>From what I remember of the paper he was saying that buying a whole
machine, packing it with disks and then shipping it can in the long
run be much cheaper then buying large internet connections. The
numbers have changed since he wrote the paper but given the major
trends of how storage/bandwidth have been changing I think his points
are more valid now.

One has to remember that one persons application needs are different
from someone else's. This may work well for you, it may not, but in
the end it is an interesting approach.

Anyways check out the above article for more information strait from
the masters mouth.

Ben