[Beowulf] Fluent problems on a cluster

Neil McFadyen nmcfadye at mae.carleton.ca
Mon May 9 17:08:55 PDT 2005

See my post at
https://lists.sdsc.edu/pipermail/npaci-rocks-discussion/2005-May/011552.html

and
https://lists.sdsc.edu/pipermail/npaci-rocks-discussion/2004-August/007009.h
tml

Neil McFadyen
Carleton U
Ottawa, Canada

-----Original Message-----
From: beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org [mailto:beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org] On
Behalf Of Wayne Mallett
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 6:22 PM
To: beowulf at beowulf.org
Subject: [Beowulf] Fluent problems on a cluster

G'day,

I am having problem with Fluent (probably the configuration of the
cluster of 16 linux PCs with switched 100Mb/s connections) and
wondering if anyone here can help.  I use the command fluent 2ddp -t#
-pnet -cnf=hostlist to attempt to run Fluent on # machines within the
cluster.  When #=1, everything is OK.  When #=2, Fluent only consumes
about 20% of each CPU.  When #=4, Fluent only consumes about 5% of each
CPU.  When #=8, Fluent only appears in a "top" display every couple of
seconds and usually only registers as 0.00% of each CPU.

Some notes which might help:
Fluent doesn't appear to work at all with -pnmpi.
The cluster experiences ssh breakdowns from time to time, requiring a
restart of the ssh daemon.
When MOSIX was running the systems crashed frequently, so it was
removed.  There have been no crashes since MOSIX was removed.

Has anyone seen behaviour like this before, and can offer some
assistance?

Regards,

Wayne Mallett

Dr. Wayne A Mallett
Phone [O]  -  0747815084
Phone [M]  -  0439875841
Email  -  Wayne.Mallett at jcu.edu.au
Smail  -  Information Technology & Resources
	James Cook University
	Townsville  Qld  4811
	Australia