[Beowulf] CCL:Opteron or Nocona ? (fwd from m.somers at chem.leidenuniv.nl)

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Tue May 10 00:03:11 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 08:05:28PM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:

> I would very much like to see a good comparison of Intel compilers
> versus the alternatives.  I know good things about Pathscale, for instance,
> and gcc 4.0 and 4.1 seem pretty impressive.

In addition to the usual benchmarks like SPECfp and Polyhedron, there
is a computational chemistry comparison done by Daresbury Labs in the
UK.  Opteron+PathScale does quite well.

http://www.polyhedron.co.uk/compare/linux/f77bench_AMD.html
http://www.polyhedron.co.uk/compare/linux/f90bench_AMD.html

http://www.cse.clrc.ac.uk/disco/index.shtml, especially
http://www.cse.clrc.ac.uk/disco/Benchmarks/IntelProj.Serial.update1.pdf

We're looking forward to Daresbury testing with our newest compilers,
as we've made some substantial performance improvements since the
version they used (1.2).

-- greg