[Beowulf] Gen - 1 Clusters

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Fri May 6 15:36:23 PDT 2005

> Now that dual core's are coming out, the current AMD MP's and Xeons are
> about to get kicked down a notch. So I've started to sniff out potential
> replacements for my faithfull P3's.

I think this is slightly mistaken: DC is not a generational shift, but rather
mostly a packaging change.  DC chips have twice the area of SC, and therefore
cost around twice as much (depending on the fab's density of defects, etc).
further, DC will not run at the same clock as SC (holding fab constant).
generally, the appeal of DC seems to be mainly density and/or power...

it's valuable to have an option for 2.0-2.2 GHz DC opterons, but they
certainly do not make 2.6+ GHz SC opterons unattractive at less than
half the price...