[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

David Kewley kewley at gps.caltech.edu
Thu Mar 31 12:38:26 PST 2005

Joe Landman wrote on Thursday 31 March 2005 10:04:
> Actually Redhat now has HPC pricing per node.  There are other good
> reasons to look elsewhere for HPC distributions though, specifically due
> to their lack of good high performance/scalable per-node file system.

In your experience/knowledge, what are the issues that make e.g. xfs better
than ext3 on RHEL4?  I ask specifically about RHEL4 because RH has worked
hard on ext3 in time for RHEL4.

My understanding is that RH choose to support ext3 but not xfs because: 1)
they have in-house expertise for ext3 but not for xfs, and 2) they believe
that xfs has no real advantages over ext3.

If customers show RH that there are real-life needs for xfs that are not
satisfied by ext3, then RH may well be willing to invest in in-house xfs
expertise.

David