[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Mar 31 09:34:24 PST 2005

I second Joe's comments.

All of our Opteron systems run Suse 9.2 by default and we use Centos-4
for "Redhat" compatible functionality when required since Redhat has
explicitly chosen to price themselves out of the cluster market for
everything except 2-way 32bit boxes.

Suse 9.1/9.2 on Opteron and Suse Enterprise Linux (SLES 8/9) on Itanium
Systems (meaning our SGI Altix) have been extremely stable and useful in
our work. Highly recommended.

-Chris

Joe Landman wrote:

> Hi Mike:
>
>   Opterons will do better with a 2.6 kernel (2.6.9 and higher).  If you
> are going to use RHEL, you might want to look at Rocks (RHEL3 based) or
> Warewulf which should be able to sit atop RHEL4.  If you want to use a
> Redhat work-alike, you might want to look closely at Centos4.
>
>   I am sure others will take issue with this, but I would strongly
> advise against using a rolling beta OS (FC-x) as the basis for a
> production cycle machine.  If it is a purely experimental cluster, go
> for it.  If it is supposed to provide cycles to a wide group, you might
> look more closely at a supported/supportable distribution.
>
>   We have had good luck with SuSE 9.x (x>=1), RHEL3, CentosX on clusters
> using a variety of meta-distributions (warewulf, Rocks, others).  Most
> of our customers seem to prefer the RHEL series, so we tend to work with
> that more than others, but YMMV.
>
> joe
>
> Mike Davis wrote:
>
>> What OSes are Opteron clusters out there running. Is anyone running
>> FC2 on opterons?
>>
>> I'm looking at opterons for our next cluster, but I'm not sure about
>> what OS to run. Thus far we've been with RH and or RHAS. But, the next
>> cluster will be big and I'm just not sure what we should run.
>>
>> Mike Davis

Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting
Office: 617-665-6088, Mobile: 617-877-5498, Fax: 425-699-0193
PGP KeyID: 83D4310E iChat/AIM: bioteamdag  Web: http://bioteam.net