[Beowulf] Call for Help: An Evaluation of Parallel Programming Systems

Michael Suess msuess at uni-kassel.de
Tue Mar 29 08:01:31 PST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

with this mail I want to kindly ask for your help regarding a small research
project of our group, which you may find interesting as well. It has the
working title: "Evaluation of parallel programming systems" and aims at
collecting information about the present state of the art of parallel
programming. Some of the key questions to be answered are:

- What parallel programming systems are used in real world applications?
- Which parallel programming systems have been developed in the past, and
which are being developed at the moment?
- What are the strengths of these various systems, and what are their
problems?
- How do the systems compare to each other?
- Which application areas and architectures are the systems useful for?

For this purpose, we have set up two subprojects, which might be interesting
for you:

At
http://www.plm.eecs.uni-kassel.de/parasurvey/
we have put a small survey online. Its main goal is to figure out what
parallel programming systems are in use and known today. Filling it out
will  take about 10 minutes and (besides being notified of the results) you
can win one of two $50 book gift certificates from Amazon.com.

The second subproject is a Wiki (with the fitting name "Parawiki") with the
purpose of providing the parallel programming community a place to share
and research information about parallel programming. It even has a unique
feature (called "trees"), which can be used to gather an easy overview over
certain topics. Please consider participating in this effort and providing
information about your parallel programming system of choice there. The
Parawiki is located here:
http://parawiki.plm.eecs.uni-kassel.de/

Of course, the whole project has a home page as well, with a more extensive
overview:
http://www.plm.eecs.uni-kassel.de/plm/?eval_pps

If you want even more information, we have put up a short technical report
about the project here:
http://www.plm.eecs.uni-kassel.de/plm/fileadmin/pm/publications/suess/introEvalPPS.pdf

Thank you very much for your cooperation,
Best Regards from Kassel/Germany,
Michael Suess

P.S.: I apologize, if you recieve this mail through multiple channels, since
of course I have tried to reach as many participants as possible. If you
know other sources on the net, where people involved in parallel
programming gather, it would be very kind if you could forward this message
there.

--
"What we do in life, echos in eternity..."
M.: msuess at uni-kassel.de | T.: +49-561-804-6269 | F.: +49-561-804-6219