[Beowulf] Questions regarding interconnects

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 25 17:16:12 PST 2005

Hello Patrick,

>Do more research.

I hope you don't mind i grab the opportunity to ask a technical question to
you. Feel free to answer when you have time after Easter.

Suppose we have nodes A,B,.... Each node is a dual connected with myri.
Each node has a single card inside.

Each node has 3 threads. One thread is just busy shipping large messages
using MPI. So eating a lot of bandwidth from the card. One such messages is
really a lot of megabytes.

Now let's suppose thread B.1 is busy receiving a really huge message of
several megabytes. That takes considerable time.

In meantime a small message of 4 bytes arrives for thread B.2
which is latency crucial.

3 Questions.
  Q1: does B.2 have to wait for B.1 to receive the entire message?
  Q2: in case B.2 doesn't need to wait for B.1 to receive the entire message,
      but can receive it in between, what is the switch time latency of
      the myri hardware? So what is the worst case time it takes to
      receive the message (i understand on average it is 50% better,
      but i work with worst cases in my software; suppose that n processors
      are ready with an explosion, wipes everything out,
      i want to interrupt the stuff then).
  Q3: is there difference in currently offered myri cards here,
      if so which one can and which one can't?

Many Thanks for answerring,
Vincent