[Beowulf] Re: The move to gigabit - technical questions

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Fri Mar 18 07:11:09 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 02:14:37AM +0100, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> At 01:42 PM 3/17/2005 +1100, steve_heaton at ozemail.com.au wrote:

> >Note: I know magic can be worked with the Intel driver but
> >this is "vanilla" ATM.
>
> Vanilla is what we need with respect to gigabit.

Well no, it's not.  When he said "vanilla", I believe he meant, "Using
the stock Linux driver settngs with no attempt at tuning for the needs
of my particular HPC application."  Thus he has done only part of the
work necessary to fully answer the question, "How much better are
these gigabit cards than using 100 megabit ethernet for me".

Since he is using Intel Pro/1000 cards, he probably should also try
using GAMMA rather than TCP/IP.

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/