[Beowulf] The move to gigabit - technical questions

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 15 12:11:44 PST 2005

At 05:41 PM 3/14/2005 -0500, Glen Gardner wrote:
>Gigabit will be a little faster than 100Mbit on a small cluster, but not
>a lot.

What is 'not a lot'.

I would guess it's factor 10 faster in bandwidth?

>I ended up using 5 cheap gigabit switches to make a gigabit concentrator
>for my 12 node cluster.
>It eliminated the tendency for the network to saturate under a heavy load.

Very interesting, can you post a connection scheme and routing table?

>It also let me use gigabit network cards in my I/O node and controlling
>node with a small improvement in file I/O.

Streaming i/o or random access?

cheapo disk arrays get what is it, 400MB/s handsdown or so?

that's raid5 readspeed, plenty security at a raid5 array.

>The compute nodes remaind with 100 Mbit to conserve power. The setup
>works rather nicely.

what type of software do you run at it,
embarrassingly parallel software?

Vincent