[Beowulf] looking for a reference on failure rates

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Mar 7 12:31:53 PST 2005

Hi Don:

   This is excellent.  More detail than I need for this, but useful
nonetheless.  I am familiar with/have used Arrhenius models for rate
prediction in the past, but did not make the connection to failure rates.

   The next question that this begs is the failure mode.  Each failure
mode will likely have a different set of activation energies.

   I'll go grab this info (have some old stuff around).  Any similarity
for disk drives and other components?  Of course the question of what
the activation energy would mean for a macroscopic failure (hard disks)
is relevant ...

   Thanks!

Joe

--