[Beowulf] Shared memory

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Jun 23 18:05:08 PDT 2005

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 03:24:55PM +0200, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>

>>Usually clusters are slow intel dual xeons or something ugly bad from the
>>past. Most organisations need also like 1 year between ordering and
>>delivery of a cluster, by then such a processor is just so so so outdated
>>that it's factor 2 times slower or so than the latest cpu on the market.
>

> Vincent, if you spent less time making overly-broad generalizations
> about the bizarre universe you live in, you might get better responses
> to your postings here.

Let's see.  I ordered and took delivery of a cluster in 7 weeks.  The
processors (Opteron 246) were still top-end at the time I ordered and
took delivery.  I've got an RFP out now for an addition to the cluster.
  Delivery is quoted as <3 weeks, and we're getting top-end processors.

Greg's right.  I'm not positive which universe you're dealing with, but
mine delivers the goods.

Gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173