[Beowulf] password-less "rsh"

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sat Jul 30 16:55:30 PDT 2005

Hi John:

John Hearns wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 15:26 -0400, Brian R Smith wrote:
>>On Fedora, the easiest way to do this (if you don't use/need kerberos)
>>is by
>>rm -f /etc/profile.d/krb*
> Come, come.  Isn't hunting with automatic weapons banned,
> even in the USA?

Depends upon the caliber :^ and the state.  It is considered

> I'm STILL trying to think of some shell magic to cut
> out /usr/kerberos/bin from the $PATH, no matter where it is located.
> The best I can come up with is:
>  export PATH=`echo $PATH | cut -d: -f2-`

This is *always* dangerous, if some nefarious bit of software modifies
PATH to be somehow unsafe before hand

	export PATH="\`rm -rf /\'"

(on purpose, or via a bug, and yes I have seen buggy shell scripts do
stuff like this).

It would be better to regex substitute it out if it exists.

[root at crunch-r ~]# env |grep -i path
[root at crunch-r ~]# env |grep -i path | perl -p -e

> (In explanation, this only cuts off the kerberos path if it comes
> first.)

Even in this case, there may be security issues.  You can toss a -T
(taint) switch on there if you are worried.