[Beowulf] Re: Opteron 275 performance

Kozin, I (Igor) i.kozin at dl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 28 03:49:53 PDT 2005

>   http://multicore.amd.com/WhatIsMC/

That was fun. Thanks Robert! No music though :(
It seems there is an increasingly dominating opinion that the second
core is meant to run anti-virus protection software 24 hours a day.

> I honestly think that the only way to be SURE your particular
> application fits in the probably very broad category of applications
> that can scale from one to four cores in nearly constant time
> is to try it.

I absolutely and unequivocally agree with this.

In your Origin system a pair of cpus is connected to memory via a router chip.
If by "no problem" you mean that your applications run on 0,2,4,6 processors
as good as on 0,1,2,3 then the chances are good that a dual core Opteron
will be fine too.
Dual dual-core will also give you a single system image which you are probably
used to on the Origin. E.g. Sun offers Opteron based workstations.
On the other hand two single-core duals will most likely have higher raw
performance for the same money (albeit higher electricity bill).
You can connect them using a cross-wire and enter the world of clustering!

Good luck,
Igor