[Beowulf] Re: Opteron 275 performance

Steve Cousins cousins at limpet.umeoce.maine.edu
Thu Jul 28 06:24:45 PDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> Steve Cousins writes:
>
> >> I'm fairly certain that the memory latency issue that Vincent was warning
> >> about won't be an issue, although I'm a bit clueless about how to know for
> >> sure.  How would I go about finding out if our model is TLB trashing main
> >> memory?  I feel like I just bit the hook... I don't want to start a huge
> >> discussion on this but if there are some quick tell-tale signs of it I'd
> >> be interested to find out.
> >
> Why bother with tell-tale signs?  Like I said, your previous post was
> dead on the money.  Get a loaner (which can physically be far far away
> and should be "free"), install YOUR application and run the only
> benchmark or test that matters.

Hi Robert,

I mostly agree.  I was curious about how one goes about doing this, and if
I find out that our program doesn't scale well to four cores then I'd like
to know what the problem is.  The first step is to just see though.
Hopefully it will scale well and it will be a moot point.

As you predicted, I have heard from a couple of vendors.  We'll soon see
how it goes, and I'll send an update to the list when I find out.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Steve