[Beowulf] Re: Beowulf Digest, Vol 17, Issue 17

Don Kinghorn kinghorn at pqs-chem.com
Wed Jul 13 09:49:49 PDT 2005

Hi Mark,

Yes, for the most part the bios settings on the 2875 don't have much impact on
performance.  [It was an inexpensive ATX form factor board which I needed at
the time and real performance with our code was pretty good] The 2891 looks
to be a MUCH better board (and gives marginally better performance with our
code as is expected).

I had to set both interleaving settings to "Auto" on the 2875 to get it to
play nice with 4GB memory when the AMD 248 Opterons changed from "model 5
stepping 10" to "model 37 stepping 0"   It was just a painfull trial and
error process to get to things to work ... no performance impact ... no real
senseable reason.

"you do that voodoo so well"  :-)

-Don

--
Dr. Donald B. Kinghorn Parallel Quantum Solutions LLC
http://www.pqs-chem.com