[Beowulf] queue management systems survey
green at sectorb.msk.ru
Sun Jul 10 03:13:24 PDT 2005
I making some type of analysis of queue management systems and will be
glad to hear answers on survey, I prepared. I know that specifications
and characteristics can be "extracted" from official manuals, but here
I'm interested in practical cases. Thanks in advance.
1) Which queuing system You use at your cluser (OpenPBS, Torque, Sun
Grid Engine, ...)? Mostly interest is queuing system, but scheduler will
be interesting too.
2) Characteristics of your cluster:
- number of nodes
- type of nodes (workstations/dedicated, homogenous/heterogenous, cpus)
3) Queue characteristics:
- number of users
- average number of tasks in queue
- average number of running tasks
- only processor time taken into account or other resources too (memory,
disk space, ...)
4) Common tasks characteristics:
- how much procesors required
- how much time required
- type of parallelism: exclusion of concurrent run of other tasks on
assigned processors/something like SETI at home or United Devices projects
5) What is the pros and cons for this queuing system? Why it was chosen
instead of others for your cluster?
PS. Some of this questions are related to scheduler too. But I need it
mostly to recognize the capabilities of the queuing system. I.e. even if
we have outstanding scheduler and the queuing system is bad - the result
will be bad too.
More information about the Beowulf