[Beowulf] Bonding on the Gigabit Ethernet

Ilya ilya at gray-world.net
Thu Jul 7 21:04:16 PDT 2005

Yes, I’ve played with that when I realized that packets has arrive out of order. But it doesn’t
help us much more :

1) additional consuming of processor time for sorting  packages in the buffer on the recipient side
2) “сcongestion window”. This parameter is defined how many packets can be send without ACK. So, it
has an influence on the overall throughput of the TCP stream. And while stream has no DUP ACK (or
losses) congestion window is increasing. But when we received DUP ACK, congestion window is
decreasing, even without retransmission.

Even artificial blocking of DUP ACK doesn’t help.
>From paper : “Experiments have shown, that at artificial blocking the duplicated
acknowledgement may raise productivity of bonding on two Gigabit interfaces from 0.9 Gb/sec up to
1.3 Gb/sec. Expected 1.8 Gb/sec was not reached  due to big time spent on sorting of packages in
the buffer on the recipient side. Thus, for the system containing 2 processors
by 2.4 GHz everyone, throughput of a network with two Gigabit interfaces and use standard bonding
makes a maximum 1.3 Gb/sec.” That is why it is so necessary to achieve that recipient side can
recieve TCP packages by way in turn.