[Beowulf] python & Lush on a cluster (Newbie question)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jan 26 01:32:48 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 01:52:32AM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> As a general rule, though, if you are serious enough about numerical
> research to build a cluster in the first place to speed up the
> computations, you will USUALLY be better off using a proper compiled
> language such as C, C++, or Fortran than using any sort of interpreted

You can have both, actually. It's easy to extend Python (via SWIG, or other
means), see e.g. Konrad Hinsen's MMTK or Warren DeLano's PyMol.

Python works with MPI as well, but this looks a bit experimental in places.

e.g.
https://geodoc.uchicago.edu/climatewiki/DiscussPythonMPI

import pypar                         # The Python-MPI interface

numproc = pypar.size()               # Number of processes as specified by
mpirun
myid =    pypar.rank()               # Id of of this process (myid in [0,
numproc-1])
node =    pypar.get_processor_name() # Host name on which current process is
running

print "I am proc %d of %d on node %s" %(myid, numproc, node)

if myid == 0:
  # Actions for process 0

  msg = "P0"
  pypar.send(msg, destination=1)                   # Send message to proces 1
(right hand neighbour)
  msg = pypar.receive(source=numproc-1)            # Receive message from
last process

  print 'Processor 0 received message "%s" from processor %d' %(msg,
numproc-1)

else:
  # Actions for all other processes

  source = myid-1
  destination = (myid+1)%numproc

  msg = pypar.receive(source)
  msg = msg + 'P' + str(myid)                      # Update message
  pypar.send(msg, destination)

pypar.finalize()