[Beowulf] real hard drive failures

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Tue Jan 25 11:21:21 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:16:33AM -0600, Donald Kinghorn wrote:
> WD 120 and 200GB SATA in the field <1 year, [~400 drives] one failure so far.
> I'm moving to a 3 drive raid5 setup on each node (drives are cheap, down time
> is not) and considering changing to Seagate SATA drives anyone care to offer
> opinions or more anecdotes?  :-)

Hi Don,

For 250 GB SATA drives, I would recommend either Hitachi or Seagate. Hitachi
drives may exhibit nominally better performance numbers.

For 400GB SATA drives, I don't have enough experience to recommend anything,
but I have used 400 GB Hitachi SATA drives recently and all is going well at
this time. It's too early to draw conclusions.

 Karen Shaeffer
 Neuralscape, Palo Alto, Ca. 94306