[Beowulf] Cooling vs HW replacement

Josip Loncaric josip at lanl.gov
Fri Jan 21 09:03:18 PST 2005

Mark Hahn wrote:

> aside: Maxtor, in particular, has gradually stopped putting ANY
> useful data into their so-called datasheets.

I noticed the same thing recently about Maxtor.  If this trend
continues, we'll be getting less technical information about some
commodity computer parts than we normally get about bottled water.

Western Digital still supplies technical data on their drives, and
Hitachi (formerly IBM) drives advertise particularly low power
dissipation.  I haven't checked Seagate lately, so Mark's comment is
welcome:

> Seagate, on the other hand, has improved their documentation -
> you can actually get 100 pages of spec on the Cheetah, for instance.

Sincerely,
Josip