[Beowulf] transcode Similar Video Processing on Beowulf?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Jan 20 10:29:59 PST 2005

> That is indeed interesting, and also, have you looked at cinelerra?
>
> http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3
>
> It does not use MPI but has it's own client/server videorenderingfarm
> infrastructure, and could probably be adapted to the beowulf model, with
> the gui running on the headnode and the compute nodes simply encoding
> part of the video.

Also have a look at Dyny:bolic
http://www.dynebolic.org/

This is a bootable-CD distro, which aims at setting up a suite of
media production PCs from a bootable CD - so non-technical types
can do the setup.

It includes (dare I say it!) OpenMOSIX,
which should be useful for applications like that.
I'd guess that the first PC to be booted up elects itself as
the DHCP server (easy script - did I get a DCHP? No?
Well then..)  and Mosix master node.

The website is a little bit TOO funky however,
but it should give you some ideas