[Beowulf] RE: S2466 Wake on Lan working, anyone?

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Sat Feb 26 16:33:34 PST 2005

> We sold a lot of those boards, and I could not remember any claims for
> WOL support, so I went looking through the literature.

The _current_ literature says nothing.  The literature when
we bought this did.  Google for S2466 and WOL and you'll
find the old data sheets still available on the web, for
instance here:

http://www.bellmicro.com/product/HotProduct/tyan/d_s2466_210.pdf

that indicate the presence of a 3 pin WOL header. What point having
a WOL header if the board won't do WOL?  Note that they still don't
claim that the board won't do WOL, only that it will only WOL
from a state where the capability is of no use.

As you point out, that line is missing from the current literature
for the board here:

ftp://ftp.tyan.com/datasheets/d_s2466_270.pdf

so apparently somewhere between _210 and _270 WOL was
eliminated from the product sheet.  They fessed up
(and fixed) the USB problem but seem to have swept the WOL
problem under the rug.  Or maybe the original documentation
was in error?  Either way, the story changed.

> I see no reference to WOL.
> Looking at their FAQ i see no mention of WOL:
> http://www.tyan.com/support/html/f_s2466.html

My point exactly.  Even if they don't support it people have
asked enough that it should be in the FAQ.

> While I understand that you want this to work, I see no reason to
> complain that they do not properly support something they never claimed
> to provide.

But they used to claim WOL, they just don't anymore.

> Could it be that you are expecting too much? And bitter about not
> getting your way?

Nope, bitter about a company removing WOL from the product spec
rather than admitting explicitly, if only in the FAQ, that
it wasn't supported.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu