[Beowulf] O'Reilly Clusters Book Review

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sat Feb 26 02:50:48 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 00:23 -0800, Glen Otero wrote:

> My review of O'Reilly's latest clusters book published at HPCwire
> (http://www.tgc.com/hpcwire.html):

Glen,
  I am preparing a review of this book for the UK Unix Users Group.

I haven't finished reading your review yet, but I feel I should say that
I don't agree with the tone.
I'm sure that you have valid points - yes I agree that Myrinet and
Infiniband should be dismissed as 'emerging'.

But on balance I think it is a decent book, and I would recommend it.
In fact I have flagged it up on this list.

If I was to make a criticism, it would be about the section on MPI
programming. There's nothing wrong with this - in fact I will refer to
it myself. I would just have made it shorter and put some references in
to existing tutorials on the web, or textbooks. But hey, I didn't write
or edit the book.