[Beowulf] Re: Estimating cluster power consumption - I/O issues

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sat Dec 17 07:14:08 PST 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 02:28:43PM -0800, Jim Lux wrote:
>
>> (let's see now, did I remember to push the latest version of my
>> program/kernel/script out to all the nodes?)
>
> ... although you might find this to be hard, you might try asking
> someone from The Other Religion to find out how they do it. Most have
> tools for this purpose.
>
> That's why this is a religious argument: both sides have working
> solutions that they like. And many people are sure that the other side
> is wrong.

It's also an argument that it is quite easy to be agnostic on.  As in,
one can think that it is simply lovely to be able to PXE/Kickstart (or
otherwise directly install) an operating system when circumstances are
appropriate and STILL be able to think that it is EQUALLY lovely to be
able to PXE/Diskless boot those same systems on a whim into whatever you
choose and have configured.  I can think of all kinds of reasons to be
grateful for being able to do both, in a cluster environment, a LAN, for
personal boxes or laptops.

It has actually been a real pleasure to watch tools to make diskless
FINALLY evolve to where it is at least approximately easy... again.
[First time for Linux, far from the first time for Unix.]

    rgb