[Beowulf] Re: Beowulf Digest, Vol 22, Issue 12

rod mach rwm at absoft.com
Tue Dec 13 12:30:33 PST 2005

> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 12:28:01PM +0000, enver ever wrote:
>
>> Can we assume that the job arrivals to a typical Beowulf system
>> can be
>> exponential?

Research done at the University of Michigan by Tom Hacker (now at
Indiana University)  indicated that for two
sites he analyzed (Both U of M and UT Austin TACC)  the job arrival
rate can be modeled as a  Poisson distribution.
That might not hold true for all sites, but the paper is a good read.

The paper analyzed  7,294 jobs over a period of 44 weeks.  The
University of Texas
logs contain 3,160 jobs over a period of 27 weeks.  The paper
discusses formulas and methods to predicate peak jobs,
unique number of users, and other interesting items in relation to
using template accounts
for grid computing.

See: http://www.mgrid.umich.edu/publications/grid_computing_2001.pdf

-Rod