[Beowulf] Software Raid

Paul pmckenna11 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 12 16:26:44 PST 2005

I read in a post somewhere that it was not possible to use a Linux
software RAID configuration for shared file storage in a cluster. I know
that it is possible to use software RAID on individual compute nodes but
the post stated that software RAID would not support properly support
simultaneous accesses on a file server. Is this true?

Assuming that hardware RAID is required (or at least preferable) I was
wondering if the built in RAID on some motherboards would be adequate or
do we need to look into a dedicated piece of hardware. We will have
about 10 - 12 cpus initially that will be connected with giganet
network. We currently have about a terrabyte of storage space and are
planning to mount it using NFS in a RAID 5 configuration. Our
applications for now will be database intensive bioinformatics apps. I
would be very interested in any comments. Thanks

Paul Mc Kenna