[Beowulf] Multirail Clusters: need comments

duncan.roweth at quadrics.com duncan.roweth at quadrics.com
Mon Dec 5 00:58:52 PST 2005

Greg

Quadrics libraries (MPI and Shmem) provide transparent support
for multiple rails. If you send lots of small messages they will
be posted to alternate rails. Larger ones will be striped over the
available rails. This is an important part of providing scalable
comms for high CPU count SMPs, where you want the bandwidth and
issue rate (numbers of MPI messages per microsecond) to rise
with the number of CPUs per node. We have tested 2,3,4 and 8 rails
on machines with 8-32 CPUs per node.

Best Wishes
Duncan Roweth

Quadrics Ltd                www.quadrics.com