[Beowulf] Cluster Applications in Submarine Environment

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 4 12:38:37 PST 2005

Hello Gary,

Note that we have our own realtime 3d engine,
it's relative easy to make non-human scenes like boats, ocean.

Our 3d engine is very good there. As it shows things visual and you
can with mouse walk around and such, it is very convincing to get
projects funded especially.

So called 'commercial games' are real good there.

A college of yours recently was here for a lecture in Maastricht
on 'commercial games'.

The huge advantage of a small interface with a 3d engine quickly shows
itself there to get funded.

Of course the real work will be done by the underlying libraries. That
coding i do myself. I have written such RSA code before.

Vincent

At 11:12 30-11-2005 -0500, Huntress Gary B NPRI wrote:
>Greetings Everyone,
>
>	I'm an engineer at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center in Newport RI.  We
are a research lab primarily for submarine systems and weapons.  One fact
of life aboard submarines is a lack of physical space, quarters are cramped
not only for people but for new equipment.  A second fact of life is long
design and procurement timelines often leave the fleet with older (very
old) and less capable computer hardware.

>	For several years now I have been pitching the idea of placing a Beowulf
cluster aboard a sub by housing it in an unused missile tube which
leverages existing power/environmental interfaces.  The cluster would be
made available on the submarine's network as a resource for all to use.
I've successfully obtained a small cluster (An Orion Multisystems DT-12)
for demonstration/porting purposes, as well as a Tomahawk cruise missile
capsule to place it in and begin any necessary modifications (pic available
upon request).

>	This week I was informed that I've been selected to draft a significant
proposal for future work related to actually bringing this idea to life.
Apparently a major portion of the proposal is supposed to address related
work (who else is doing this) and also "partnerships".  To that end, if
anyone here has any interest in this topic please feel free to contact me
directly.  I would particularly like to hear from anyone doing parallel
DSP, acoustic signal processing, or cryptography.  I'd also be interested
in comments regarding low power per cubic foot packaging since I am
operating in a closed environment and heat may be an issue.

>	Many of you may recognize this idea from previous postings.  I'd like to
thank everyone that has helped me in the past.  Without your input, this
idea would not have made it this far!