[Beowulf] SGE Queue Priorities

Jenno Claesson jennoclaesson at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 1 03:12:19 PST 2005

Hello,

We are implementing as our Resource Manager the Sun Grid Engine v6 ( N1GE6)
(Not Enterprise Edition), and as part of that I am trying to understand how
to establish the priority of a job submitted in one queue, over a job
submitted earlier in a different queue.

I have setup the following configurations on my laptop using VMWare with
RedHat and the Grid Engine.

If I have two queues configured, with the only difference being the
priority, and the queue name.  The modified values from the defaults are
below.
Parameter	Queue 1	Queue 2
qname	Queue1	Queue2
hostlist	RedHatLocal RedHatLocal
priority	20	-20
slots	1	1

Other modifications
- For the single execution host (RedHatLocal), the only modification to the
execution host is to give it a slots value of 1 to make it easy to track
which jobs are being sent through to it from the queues (complex_values
slots=1).
- I have also modified the scheduler configuration (qconf -msconf) setting
reprioritize_interval to 0:0:3.

What I am expecting is that if I have a number of pending jobs for Queue1,
if I then submit a job explicitly to Queue2, that the job submitted to
Queue2 should be the next job to run.  However this is not the behaviour
that I see.  What I am seeing is the jobs being executed in their sequential
(FIFO) order.

Does anyone have any thoughts?