[Beowulf] 90nm opteron power usage

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Sat Aug 13 11:46:58 PDT 2005

> A while ago I read a memory roundup... The Micron part was dead last,
> and shocked both the tester and the company... (A stunning display of
> incompitence from one of the industry's pioneers...)

I doubt it - companies like Micron simply produce so many slightly
different parts that it's hard to find the right ones to compare.
as I said, there was a 3x difference in power dissipation for the
Micron dimms I looked at, from ~6 up to 22W (all pc3200 512MB).

> The best ram these days comes from 3 brands: Kingston, Corsair, and OCZ.
> (in no particular order..)

those are dimm vendors, not chip makers.  I expect they sometimes source
from Micron.

as a followup, I checked a couple random Samsung dimms, and see very
similar power dissipation numbers: 5-10W/dimm for heavy load.