[Beowulf] Re: Young novice with a tight pocket book (stuffnstuff)

Ed Karns edkarns at firewirestuff.com
Sat Aug 13 10:54:21 PDT 2005

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:09:25 -0500
> From: stuffnstuff <stuffnstuff7 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Beowulf] Young novice with a tight pocket book
>
> I use my computer for massive rendering jobs regularily and wish there
> were ways of giving it more speed. I am strongly considering putting
> togethor a cluster, but I don't know the basic requirements. I have
> read several guides on building a cluster, but none of them seem to
> give the software and connection requirements.
>  Until I am corrected, I will be under the impression that I can run a
> cluster with a master node using XP Home and sub-nodes using Windows
> 98. Do I need to buy a new operating system? What do I need to
> physically connect the computers. If I can conjure up a few old
> computers that would barely be worth selling, is it worth building a
> cluster? How do I physically do all this?
>  Sorry for being ill informed...

Excellent!
Make a shopping list. Visit all of your local technical resources
first: recycling centers, school computer room storage closets, surplus
electronic supply houses ... contact the facilities manager or systems
guys at any local high technology manufacturer (you will be surprised
how much equipment they have in the back room they just have not had
the time to through away).
Suggestions for a cluster of "throw together systems" = clone boxes:

Chose your networking hardware first:
1) The most cost effective and easiest to implement is currently
Ethernet 10/100baseT network interface cards (NIC). Look for a common,
readily available brand name and model designation (3Com, DLink,
Netware, etc.). Expect to pay $1 to $15 per interface card. Use PCI
v.2.2 or better plug in cards. The temptation will be to use the built
in motherboard network connections, but reliability and performance may
suffer with some knock off chip sets. PCI plug in cards generally are
more serviceable, more reliable and faster. (Go to 1000baseT NICs when
the bucks become available.) Using a common brand name NIC on all
systems will improve reliability and performance dramatically compared
to a mixed bag of NICs.
2) Use shorter lengths of unshielded Ethernet cabling. Use only
"factory made" Ethernet (RJ45) of lengths less than 15 to 30 feet (< =
5 to 10 meters). Handmade cabling is usually the least reliable part of
any Ethernet network = don't use 'em. Long lines produce lower
reliability.
3) No "daisy chains" ... building simple star topography will be best =
equal weight / equal access / peer to peer in hardware. (A system
failure in the middle of a daisy chain can be very hard to diagnose.)
4) Chose the best, fastest, 10/100/1000baseT, multi port switch you can
find or afford. (One example:
http://www.wband.com/Products/mJpgs/WB8-16G-M3-PRO.jpg  ... the better
switches will work with coat hangers or barbed wire as cables, no
kidding.) Use a "name brand" multi port switch ... for the best, most
reliable, dynamic impedance matches. (A lower quality switch may work
fine with a spaghetti of cables in the summer time, but low
temperatures and high humidity plus the near by passage of a radio
patrol car may produce "interesting questions".)
5) Get "filtered" power strips ... rather than the simple, unfiltered,
cheaper plug strips. (The pros and cons of more exotic power
conditioning may be saved for future discussions.)
6) Eventually, obtain a 19.5" equipment rack ... not immediately, but
keep on the look out for a tall one. (I got mine for less than $20.)

Others will have additional comments, resources and information. The
pursuit of excellence is ongoing ...

Ed Karns
FireWireStuff.com
(Networking systems since BC = Before Corvus)